BETAXOLOL 10-20 MG
Each tablet contains:
• For Betaxolol 10 mg Tablets:
Betaxolol HCl ……………………… 10 mg
• For Betaxolol 20 mg Tablets:
Betaxolol HCl ……………………… 20 mg
Betaxolol is a ß1-selective (cardioselective) adrenergic receptor blocking agent that has weak membrane-stabilizing activity and no intrinsic sympathomimetic (partial agonist) activity.
INDICATIONS AND CLINICAL USE:
Betaxolol is indicated in the management of hypertension. It may be used alone or concomitantly with other antihypertensive agents, particularly thiazide-type diuretics.
Dosage & Administration:
• The initial dose of Betaxolol in hypertension is ordinarily 10 mg once daily either alone or added to diuretic therapy.
• The full antihypertensive effect is usually seen within 7 to 14 days.
• If the desired response is not achieved the dose can be doubled after 7 to 14 days. Increasing the dose beyond 20 mg has not been shown to produce a statistically significant additional antihypertensive effect; but the 40-mg dose has been studied and is well tolerated.
• An increased effect (reduction) on heart rate should be anticipated with increasing dosage.
• If monotherapy with Betaxolol does not produce the desired response, the addition of a diuretic agent or other antihypertensive should be considered
Most adverse reactions have been mild and transient and are typical of beta-adrenergic blocking agents, eg, bradycardia, fatigue, dyspnea, and lethargy.
Betaxolol is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to the drug.
Betaxolol is contraindicated in patients with sinus bradycardia, heart block greater than first degree, cardiogenic shock, and overt cardiac failure.
Pregnancy & lactation:
Pregnancy Category C, and since Betaxolol is excreted in human milk in sufficient amounts to have pharmacological effects in the infant, caution should be exercised when Kerlone is administered to a nursing mother.
Package & Storage:
Carton box containing one blister (PVC/Alu) of 10 tablets.
– Store at a temperature not exceeding 30 °C, in a dry place.
– Do not use unless under physician’s supervision.
Related products: (Cardiovascular Products)